Whether you’re behind the wheel of a new or pre-owned Kia, you want it to perform at its best on Sunnyvale and Santa Clara roads. The best way to achieve optimal efficiency and performance is by following your Kia oil change schedule. Wondering how often to change the oil in your Kia? You should be able to go 7,500 – 10,000 miles between oil changes, unless your driving habits call for a higher oil change frequency. Learn all about Kia oil changes with the Capitol Kia service team, below!
General Guidelines for How Often to Change Oil
For a clear answer to how often to change the oil in your Kia, take your driving habits into consideration. If your weekly travels involve little more than commuting to and from Morgan Hill every day, it’s probably safe to follow the suggested interval of 7,500 – 10,000 miles. If you drive a pickup truck on a worksite every day or you take your SUV off-road frequently, you may need to get oil changes more frequently. If you can check off any of the following boxes, you’ll want to contact our service team to get help creating an individualized Kia oil change schedule:
- Towing or hauling heavy loads
- Frequent off-road use
- Business use
How Long Does an Oil Change Take?
You run on a tight schedule every day, so you’re likely to wonder, how long does an oil change take? When you bring your Kia to an authorized dealership like Capitol Kia and you have a scheduled appointment, you can expect your oil change to be done in about an hour!
Helpful Oil Change Tips
Review these quick tips to learn more about Kia oil changes:
- Do you only take your car out on the road once or twice per week? You should still have its oil changed twice per year to keep the oil in good condition.
- With every oil change, your car’s oil filter should also be swapped out. If you’re carrying out a Kia Soul oil change at home, you can get the right type of filter from our parts center!
- Asking yourself, “what type of oil does my car need?” Your owner’s manual will have the answer – whether the manufacturer recommends conventional, synthetic, or a synthetic blend, you’ll want to be sure you’re using the right type.
How to Change Your Kia’s Oil at Home
Many drivers will find that it’s most convenient to get oil changes at a service center, but if you’re a confident car owner who wants to take on a Kia Optima oil change at home, here’s a brief overview of what to expect from the process:
- Place jack stands or steel ramps on level ground to jack your car up.
- Locate the oil drain plug; it’s usually underneath the oil pan below your engine. Place an oil basin under the plug to catch the old oil, then unscrew the oil drain plug. The old oil will start to drain out and may take up to 15 minutes to drain completely. Ensure all of the old oil has drained, then screw the plug back in.
- Next, find the oil filter. With an oil filter wrench, remove the old filter – leave the oil basin in place throughout this process, as you may get some additional oil draining out.
- Set the replacement filter into place, then rub a small amount of the new engine oil around the filter’s rubber seal. This is an important step, as it provides a watertight seal for the filter.
- Finally, tighten the filter by hand.
- With the old oil drained and a new filter set into place, it’s time to remove the oil cap. Using a funnel, you can pour in the proper amount of new oil as specified in your owner’s manual. When finished, don’t forget to replace the oil cap.
- Don’t close the hood just yet! Check your oil level first to ensure you put in the correct amount. Pull the oil dipstick out of its holder and check the oil line against the markers on the dipstick. If it’s low, you can add a little more oil at a time until you reach the correct level.
Get Trusted Kia Service in San Jose
How long does an oil change take at Capitol Kia? If you schedule an appointment ahead of time, you can be in and out in about an hour! To sweeten the deal, we offer rotating Kia oil change coupons so you can save on the Kia oil change price. With any lingering questions about Kia service, give us a call today. Looking for more service info? Learn about the full Kia maintenance schedule.